Notice: The philosophy of this public forum of questions and answers, is that it is participatory. We would like that our user community can share their experience with their laptop. We want to help you and also receive help to improve. Thank you for your participation, and together we will make of this a better place.

iniciado

So many problems...

Pierre Soubourou On Monday, 13 March 2017.
Category: Linux
Tags:

Hi, I just received the Slimbook with KDE and I have so many problems, I don't know where to start

1-Keyboard

The physical keys do not correspond to the French AZERTY, that is for instance the key next to "backspace" shows the long and short dashes, but when I press I get equal "=" and with Shift I get plus "+".

Also, I hate having the Fn key where 99% of computers have "Ctrl" : how can I change that?

There is no sign for superior and inferior : I bought this computer for programming, now I'm missing two very important keys

2-Wifi

During Setup I could configure wifi, since then it doesn't work and I don't understand how to basically have the aavailable networks just show up in a list that I can click and configure...

It worked out of the box then not anymore.

There is a wifi dongle (it comes with a CD but there is no CD reader on the slimbook...) and it doesn't seem to do anything

3-Slimbook Essentials

There is this tool Slimbook Essentials, it's all in Spanish and when I click "actualizar sistema" then it does do things but at some point the console freezes, asking me a question but I cannot type in it !

I'm kind of desperate. I know Linux a little bit, but the computer is for my girlfriend and now I see there is so much configuration work, and she'll never trust that everything will be smooth... I there a way to be reimbursed, before I get too frustrated? unless there is a special command that magically solves everything, I think it's more reasonable to get reimbursed

Regards

Todas las respuestas

8 Answers.

STAFF

staff

Re:So many problems...
cesarslimbook On Monday, 13 March 2017

Hello Pierre, I'm sorry to hear about your problems, let's see if we can figure out what went wrong.

First of all, have you changed your OS or did you stick with the KDE Neon you received it with? The following replies are based on the idea that you still have KDE Neon, if you don't let me know and I'll write you again.

1. About the Keyboard layout, it seems that you're using the wrong one in the configuration. We test it out on a temporal user called OEM which ends up deleted so you can have the initial configuration window you should've seen on your first boot. If you got that popup it's possible that you might have choosen the wrong keyboard layout. The one you should be looking for is French (Macintosh distribution). Considering that configuration panel is a one time thing, to change it now you should search for Keyboard or Layout and find the setting to change it, it's on the 2nd tab and ticking the checkbox for "Change Keyboard Layout". I'll provide images if you don't seem to find it.

2. This one seems a bit more strange. The WiFi dongle you mention isn't necessary, it's just an extra for those having older routers and receiving bad signal with them, for now you can ignore it.

You said it worked but it stopped working, my first idea would be that you accidentally turned it down with the FN + F4 key combination (or F4 only if for some reason your keyboard style isn't on traditional, you can check it by pressing F5 alone on a webpage, if it changes backlight you've MAC Style, if it refreshes the webpage you've traditional style which is the usual) and it'll toggle the network adapter on/off. Let me know if that's the problem or if you've more info on when it stopped working.

3. Slimbook Essentials is our tool for users who decide to reinstall their laptop, or change into another distro. If you've just received it and haven't changed your OS you shouldn't need it although it could have some extras. Sadly we haven't had the time to translate it yet as you mentioned so it'll probably be more of a headache than something helpful for you at the moment.

Again, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems, let's see if we can solve your problems in an easy way and if we can't we'll see about taking it back and giving it to you manually installed with no startup configuration or the reimbursement you mentioned.

This first-boot configuration was actually planned for you to be able to choose everything yourself (including your user account etc) and not have it predefined with a generic user, but it was all tested out before that.

Regards, César.

iniciado

Pierre Soubourou On Monday, 13 March 2017

Thanks for your answer, now I fixed the keyboard issue ! I had been exploring other layouts, but would have never thought of trying Macintosh.

This was really the biggest hurdle. As for wifi, reboots, playings with F4 & Fn+F4, the menu near the clock and pluggings/unpluggings of the dongle made it. It's probably the F4 thing, I thought I was doing it right... I'm so used to Ubuntu...

Can you please tell me about Slimbook Essentials how I can :

- answer questions asked in the console (I can't seem to type)

- contribute translations ES-to-EN for you

Regards

iniciado

Sorry, another question — how can I get the symbols "", it's killing me :-/

Thanks for your help

iniciado

Okay, I see the characters I want do not display : I need the symbol "greater than" and "less than".

Also, how to reverse the behaviour between "Fn" and "control" so that "control" is the bottom-right-most key?

Regards

iniciado

Pierre Soubourou On Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Okay, some more development, I found a way around for having keys "less" and "greater" :

create file ~/.xmodmap as "keycode 51 = dead_grave sterling dead_grave sterling less greater"

add at KDE startup the program "xmodmap ~/.xmodmap"...

The remapped key is the one below backspace with sterling pound and grave symbols.

Am still trying to figure out how to invert the fn key with the control, because it's not so convenient now...

On another computer it was in the BIOS, but I cannot find it...

STAFF

staff

cesarslimbook On Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Hello again Pierre, glad to hear you solved some of the issues!

About Slimbook Essentials, translating it is something we want to do but our development team is currently quite busy so I don't know when they'll be able to work on it. About questions on it, there shouldn't really be questions as it was programmed to avoid the interaction and let that screen be just informative, it was initially built around Ubuntu and the Spanish language so probably we'll have to adapt some functions for KDE Neon and other languages. For sending us translation and reporting bugs you can write me on contact@slimbook.es (although this first thing isn't really necessary, I'll probably take care about that when we've the time).

About the " symbol, I've just checked the French keyboard layout and it seems it should be below the 3 and act like any other key, we don't currently have a French installed one to try it out, but I'll try to test it out on the next one I get my hands on.

Glad that you managed to solve the less and greater thing. And finally about the Control + Fn as far as I know you can't change them because FN is not a normal key to map like any other because it interacts in a different way with the system, can't really give you a solution about that apart from my personal experience which is that you get used after a while.

Regards

iniciado

Pierre Soubourou On Wednesday, 15 March 2017

Hi,

The keyboard is such as in the attachment (System Settings»Input Device»Keyboard»Layouts»Map: "fr french French (Macintosh)"»Preview). It is exactly the keyboard I get, which doesn't have the "greater" and "less" characters (except I remapped one key, but it doesn't appear on the picture):

http://imgur.com/a/U7oSA

It's worth noting that the present Q&A tool erases these characters, exactly because they are so essential for programming.;-)

Now my 1000€-computer doesn't have these symbols, it's a "French" keyboard yet I have the dollar sign right away but I need to combine to get euro. Finally, I cannot switch the Fn and Ctrl keys, although Lenovo computers that have the same design madness can: it's right there in the BIOS where there is an option.

I've got this Lenovo at work, I lived a couple of month before I had to face it : either the computer would go through the window or else I'd find a solution. And there it was, so easy to reach I almost felt ashame I didn't find it myself. :-D

I don't think you want your brand to compare to Lenovo, who would? :-)

As to getting use to anything, I agree with you, I could even have one single key that I'd press 26 times to get a "Z", but well... :-O :-)

It's a broader picture: I want to be proud of this computer, of buying from an alternative maker that ships Linux computers, but right now it's not possible. :-/

-- please issue a BIOS update where Fn and Ctrl keys can be inverted (for the future, please reconsider this design)

-- please issue a French keyboard mapping that works and gives users the essential characters

-- please indicate how I can answer questions in the Slimbook Essentials console (I can deal with Spanish since I know Portuguese, but this is a technical problem) -- I would even rather have the scripts to run than be frustrated at a console I cannot write into :-)

Regards

Pierre

STAFF

staff

cesarslimbook On Thursday, 16 March 2017

Hello again Pierre. We totally understand what you mean, and we're currently trying to find the best possible solution for it, on our Spanish keyboards for example with a simple keyboard combination you can access these but on foreign languages we'll have to map that key manually.

Considering it's KDE, I'm assuming this could be made quite easy yet we'll get in talk with the KDE team to see what is the best solution for this.

We take your advices to consideration, and you aren't the first one asking for the Control - FN swap either so we understand that's an important thing. Last but not least we don't want to compare to any other company as you mentioned, we're still a small company growing and trying to improve everyday, and I really hope and believe that we'll find a good solution for this key mapping thing in the next few days!

Again, thank you for your suggestions.

Regards, César.